Thursday, February 12, 2009

Anxiety Nation

As some of you may or may not know, Virginia didn't work out for us. When Tom first told me, I felt as though I had been punched in the stomach. I had begun to plan my new life in VA. I went house hunting online, researched schools in the area and in my head, I even saw my babies running in a backyard again.

As I've said again and again, I don't love living in Japan but I don't hate it either. The last couple days have been rough for me. I have this constant feeling of anxiety. As though I'm trapped in a glass box and I can't break through. I think a lot of it is that in nearly three years of marriage, this is the longest we've stayed at any one place and the longest I've worked anywhere. We were in Jacksonville, FL for three months and Kings Bay, GA for nine. I've been in Japan for twenty months!

I haven't been home since and I think I have to start planning a trip soon because I'm going to end up in a nut hut otherwise! I need a breather to step away from work and life here. I miss good ole American/Latin food, family, friends, sun, beach...America. Case in point, V-Day is this upcoming Saturday. If we were home, we'd probably go to a nice restaurant just the two of us. Here, we don't know any nice restaurants and if we did they'd be outrageously expensive and the food wouldn't be very good...bland and odd. I'm stuck in a rut: home, work, home.

Maybe I need a new hobby. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment